After two years spent in China in various cities and companies, being the first none-American coach to briefly work for USBA China, and going through the amazing journey of creating something from absolute zero(assistant coaches, marketing team, training everyone about what basketball is and how practices work), I am finally back in my second home, Romania.
At the time of writing this article, I am on my 6th month in the Slam Basketball Academy and things have been going up and down. After all, you win some you lose some. Currently, I am the coach/assistant coach of 5 groups, two are kids from the age of 6 to 10, one group is kids aged from 10 to 14, and the last two are groups of under 18 years old kids.
Now at this point, we have different levels from all of those, and I am trying to rejuvenate with my fellow colleagues a U18 team. They are a great bunch of guys that kinda lost their goal and with it the motivation. I must admit they aren’t the tallest or the fastest, but willing to learn and willing to adapt and create something.
We all know that winning is not normal, and to win you gotta go beyond practicing 3 times per week. So we are trying to see if we can manage to change their mindset and habits. The guys are mostly born from 2003 to 2005, so that leaves us one more year with the seniors and with the rest of the talented individuals to grow something.
With 9 games remaining in the regional tournament we are in the bottom half of the board, so we will need to work our behinds off to pull off a good season next year. Most of the guys on the team are point guard height with a few exceptions, and honestly, we will go the modern way, rather than being under the basket we will take the behind the arc approach. The problem is we need to learn how to score, not just shoot.
Thus starts a new journey, with a few goals in my mind:
- Learn How To Play Selfless, As a Team
- Play Harder Defense
- Learn How to Handle Aggressive Defenses
- Shoot Better
- Move without the ball Better
- Pass the ball better
This season is over win-wise, we won’t be able to reach the top even if we win all 9 games that are left, but that won’t stop us from preparing for next season. To break down what we will try to do is:
- Spacing and Movement Fluidity
- Calmness in Offense
- Better Passing and Understandmant of Team Movement
- Plays that encourage ball movement.
- Breaking the Full Court Press
- Help Side Defense
- More Active Communication
- Not Allowing Any Easy Baskets
- Increasing Quickness
- Building Up Stamina
- Increasing Strength
- Creating a Positive Environment
- Winning Attitude At Practice and In-Games
With this, I start another journey and will try to keep things updated as I move on and as the team grows. I will also keep posting drills and things I do with the younger teams.
- How to get a job in China as a basketball coach? What’s Life like in China VIDEO - November 20, 2020
- Basketball Coaches Journey #6: New Season, New Team, New Positions - October 6, 2020
- Basketball Coaches Journey #5: The Corona Defense - April 14, 2020